PimpmyFM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PimpmyFM

FMReporter for Football Manager Graphics

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No quits from Los Periquitos

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Pringers
Top Poster
Top Poster
Pringers

Managing : Arsenal

Career Goals : 28196

No quits from Los Periquitos Empty
PostNo quits from Los Periquitos

No quits from Los Periquitos Escudo10

R.C.D Espanyol de Barcelona are pleased to announce that Welsh manager Nicholas Pring has taken the reigns, taking over from previous manager Mauricio Pochettino. Pring has signed a two year contract at Los Periquitos.

No quits from Los Periquitos Montju10

R.C.D Espanyol de Barcelona play their football at the Estadi de Cornella – El Prat, and have a fierce rivalry with FC Barcelona. Pring will be charged with the season objective off maintain a top half finish in Liga BBVA, and has been handed a transfer budget of £875k.

Pring meets media for the first time:

You sit here as the manager of Espanyol. Is this your dream job?

I am pleased the chairman has trusted me with this position. Espanyol are somewhat of a sleeping giant in Spain, and I’m fully committed to awakening this team and hopefully achieving greatness with them.

You have taken this job without being able to speak Spanish. Won’t it be tough to manage the side until you get to grips with the language?

I don’t have any worries, football is a universal language. I have also brought my closest friend in, who is multi lingual, which will no doubt help us in the long run.

Do you already have an idea of which players you like, and those you are not so happy with?

Everyone will get their chance to prove their worth. We have a great squad of players here, and I think I need one or two signings and we’ll be complete for the season.

You certainly have confidence in your side. What do you consider as the strongest part of your side?

After watching the lads in training, I think we’re pretty well covered in all areas if I’m honest.

It can’t be easy to follow in the footsteps of a legend like Mauricio Pochettino. How do you think you’ll measure up to your predecessor?

I’m confident in my ability, I’m confident in the squad’s ability, so yeah, I think we’ll do pretty well this season. Don’t get me wrong Mauricio has done wonderful things here, but sometimes change is necessary, and I believe I’m the right person for the job to take this club to the next level.

What can we expect in the transfer market?

Well, I like to make sure the signings I make are well thought out and must make some improvement to the squad. As I said, I will be looking to sign one or two players within the next two weeks.

How would you describe your tactical approach?

I believe football should be played at a good pace, and have an attacking look to the game, therefore I will be telling the lads to enjoy the games as they come, and to express themselves on the pitch and not off it.

Reports have linked you with Salamanca’s Toti. Is there any interest in the left winger?

Toti is a decent player, and there is definitely some interest from our side. Whether or not I pursue my interest is another question, as I have other targets, which I hope to sign.

You come in when it is likely that central defender Juan Forlin will leave the club. Do you think you’ll be able to keep him at the club?

Yes, I have spoken to Juan and he is very happy to work under me, and I believe he will stay here for many years to come. He is the future of the Espanyol team.

Thanks Mr Pring, it’s been a pleasure meeting you, and good luck for the following season.

Thanks gentlemen.

Espanyol start their season at home against Madrid based side Getafe on the 29th August 2010.
Back to top Go down
Share this post on: reddit

No quits from Los Periquitos :: Comments

Jelly
Re: No quits from Los Periquitos
Post 2011-01-17, 19:41 by Jelly
Fantastic start mr pring and gl with your first game, will be good to see how you do with them and who you sign Smile
Niko
Post 2011-01-17, 19:41 by Niko
Nice start Pringers i wish you the best of luck Smile
Berry
Post 2011-01-17, 20:02 by Berry
Brilliant start mate, nice interview Smile

You certainly talk a good game, all the best mate as you try and make Espanyol the dominant force of Barcelona - we'll be following you all the way Smile

Can't wait to read more Very Happy
Pringers
Post 2011-01-17, 21:29 by Pringers
As promised to the Espanyol fans, Pring was soon in the transfer market, by securing the transfers of three players. Pring managed to secure the loan signing of Brazilian full-back Rafael da Silva from Manchester United, which was followed up by the free transfer of Serbian striker Mateja Kezman. The final signing was another Brazilian full-back in the shape of Sao Paulo's Richarlyson.

Pring also allowed two players to the Catalan club, which saw Spanish full-back Ernesto Galvan join Getafe, and also saw young French midfielder Thievy Bifouma leave to join Ipswich Town.

This saw the end of the transfer activity at Espanyol, and Pring deemed himself delighted with his dealings in his first season at Espanyol.

No quits from Los Periquitos Transf10

Throughout pre-season, Pring's men looked a decent outfit securing six straight victories in the friendlies. Pring's special praise came after the final friendly as he stated he was proud of the way the side has come together and worked hard throughout pre-season.

No quits from Los Periquitos Friend10

As the season grew closer and closer, Skybet gave their opinions on the forthcoming La Liga season. They listed Espanyol as a wide outsider at the price of 300-1.

No quits from Los Periquitos Title_10

So matchday was finally here and Espanyol's first game of the season was at home against Getafe. Pring named the strongest side he could, which saw captain Ivan de la Pena missing due to a four month lay off for the veteran midfielder.

The game started at a frantic pace, with both sides looking to take advantage early. Getafe were probably the more controlled and chilled side out on the pitch, as Pring's Espanyol struggled to get going.

It took a piece of magic from Joan Verdu to get the homeside going forcing a great save from Getafe's Jordi Codina mid way in the first half. The first half finished 0-0 with both sides looking as if a draw would be good enough.

Pring's half time team talk must have been good, as the home side came out firing. They Osvaldo and then Garcia forcing great saves from the former Real Madrid goalkeeper.

Just after an hour gone, when Espanyol finally had something to celebrate. A great strike by Luis Garcia whistled past the goalkeeper to give the home side a deserved lead.

Getafe tried their hardest to get an equaliser and was thwarted well by Carlos Kameni in the Espanyol net.

The referee blew the final whistle, and the home side secured their first win of the season. Although, the praise must truly go out to Nicholas Pring who seemed to change his side around after the half time whistle.

No quits from Los Periquitos Score10
Berry
Post 2011-01-17, 21:42 by Berry
Great start mate! Loving your signings, especially Rafael on loan for the season and Kezman. Both of those are potentially great players for you over this season Smile Rafael will be great for you patrolling that right flank, doing what he does best which is helping out both attacking and defending. He loves a tackle.

Great start to life at Espanyol pal, looking promising. Perfect pre-season, just need to carry that form into competitive games now and you've done that so far with the win over Getafe Razz

Keep it up man, and c'mon Espanyol!
FMGeek
Post 2011-01-18, 06:34 by FMGeek
good start to the season pringers great interview as well good luck for the rest of the season as i will be keeping a eye on it
Niko
Post 2011-01-18, 11:28 by Niko
Great Start Pringers, i love the style of writting it makes me want to read on and it also makes me want to play Fm again and find the love you clearly have for the game Smile
Pringers
Post 2011-01-18, 13:58 by Pringers
So as we bounced in to September after a great home win against Getafe, things were about to get tougher as our next league was away at El Madrigal, the home of Villarreal.

We had nothing to lose to here, and I told the lads this prior to kick off. They looked at me as if I was crazy. I knew they wanted to get something from the game, so I challenged them to prove their worth.

We made a cracking start with Jose Maria Callejon taking the lead after twelve minutes. We managed to keep hold of the lead until just after the hour mark when Giuseppe Rossi equalised. The boys made me proud because I knew a point is a terrific result here, and we certainly proved we're not to be underestimated as we secured a 1-1 draw.

The next game was a must-win home game against Almeria. A team who in all honesty we should be beating. I told the lads to believe in theirselves, and the win would come. However, the tactics didn't quite pay off, and we found ourselves 2-0 down after the first half hour, and that was enough for the visitors to steal the three points from us. The lads knew I was disappointed, and they vowed to make it better for me.

Things didn't get any easier for us as we had a trip to the capital to play Real Madrid. I knew we had no chance of getting anything from this game, but again, I challenged the lads, and asked them to do this for the following we had in the capital, and for once in Espanyol's history, I could feel FC Barcelona supporting us.

We did very well in the first half, although we failed to hit the target, we managed to keep the Galacticos at bay, and keep the score at 0-0. The second half was very similar, as Real absolutely battered us trying to find a winning goal, when in stoppage time the home side found their goal. This was quickly added by another from the penalty spot. A harsh end to a good away performance. I could see the lads were disappointed but I praised their performance, and told them how proud of them I was.

No quits from Los Periquitos Real_e10

The final game of the month produced perhaps our best performance under my management as we hosted fellow mid-table battlers Osasuna. In a game which produced two goals, and two sending offs, we managed to secure a 2-0 win. We took the lead through influential captain Luis Garcia, who scored from the penalty spot. We eventually wrapped up the three points in the 93rd minute, when Jesus Datolo struck.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_os10

So after five league games, we found ourselves in the top half of the table, and the media we're already predicting us to have a decent season. I remained calm and instructed the players to do the same, as we knew the big games would determine where we finish this season.
Narl
Post 2011-01-18, 15:39 by Narl
This is great stuff Pringers, I'm really enjoying this story of yours mate Very Happy Makes me itching to play football manager and I'm hoping that you manage to get in the top half.

Good stuff!
Berry
Post 2011-01-18, 15:40 by Berry
Good start mate, shame about the loss at Real Madrid - how unlucky is that conceding 2 in extra time Sad - but great way to put that behind you with a convincing win over Osasuna Smile

Liking these updates so far mate, keep up the good work Cool Smile
Niko
Post 2011-01-18, 23:18 by Niko
Nice work Pringers Smile cant wait for the next update as i know how this season has gone Razz
Pringers
Post 2011-01-19, 13:01 by Pringers
So after a great win to end the month of September, we were looking to make it back-to-back wins with an away win at recently promoted Real Sociedad.

I was feeling pretty confident on arrival in the Basque region, and felt that we could easily get something from the game. And we got off to a great start with a third minute goal from captain Luis Garcia. We looked in control, and looked as if we could add a few more goals to our one.

However, two dubious penalties meant that Xabi Prieto put Real Sociedad 2-1 up just short of an hour. I was left feeling depressed after Joseba Llorente added a third towards the end. I felt like the lads had let me down, as this was a must win game, and we should've won, it was just the referee let us down.

Almost two weeks later we left for the island of Mallorca for an away game. I thought this would've been a difficult game and told the lads to be aware of the threat the Emilio Nsue would pose on our defence.

To be fair, it was a poor game, but 15 minutes from the end Serbian striker Mateja Kezman secured the three points in a close 1-0 win for the visitors.

No quits from Los Periquitos Mall-e10

Less than a week later, we had our first home game of the month against Levante. I knew we had to win tonight, otherwise we'd start slipping down the table, as the teams around us had started to find their form. I told the guys that they must win this game if we have a chance of getting a top half finish this season.

Everything seemed to go to plan and after just eleven minutes Miguel Pallardo was sent off for Levante. I knew Levante would then make things difficult for us, so I told the lads to get a goal. However, we couldn't find a way past the excellent Gustavo Munua, and we didn't hit the target enough. It finished 0-0, and I felt disappointed as this really should've been a three pointer for us.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp-le10

Our final game of the month was in the Copa del Rey with the first leg away at Salamanca. This is a tie I really fancied us to progress from, as it could've been a lot worse.

We kicked off and controlled the game, but the game was broken up by too many fouls, this disrupted our performance and we struggled to turn our chances into goals. Just after the hour mark the home side had a player sent off, which by no means made it easier for us, as the home side we're holding on for a reasonable 0-0 draw, and that's how it finished. I knew we should've won, but we have a home leg against these, and I know we'll progress, I told the lads not to worry because we'll have 'em at home.

So we finished the month in 12th place in the league, and looked likely to progress to the next round of the Copa del Rey.

Next time you join me, I have six interesting games to comment on in a busy November month, starting with an away trip at Deportivo la Coruna.
LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
Post 2011-01-19, 13:10 by LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
This is great mate keep it up!!!
Niko
Post 2011-01-19, 13:13 by Niko
Great up date Pringers Smile fantastic result against Mallorca Smile
Narl
Post 2011-01-19, 14:09 by Narl
Another sexy update from the Pringmeister Laughing

Great stuff mate, really unlucky about the 2 0-0 draws though, it's really annoying to watch games like that. Razz

However, stole the victory at Mallorca, so that's a plus side, hope you progress in the Cup and get a good run of form in the league.

Excited for the next update now! Keep it up!
Berry
Post 2011-01-19, 16:34 by Berry
Great win away at Mallorca mate, pleasure to see Kezman net the winner, not taken long to get used to life back in Spain Smile

Shame you couldn't make the most of Levante having a player sent off early on, but as you said their goalkeeper had a blinder so all credits to him really. You can only try and it looks like that's what your players did Very Happy

Looking forward to your next updates mate, they really are wonderful to read.

Berry Cool
Jelly
Post 2011-01-19, 16:49 by Jelly
Pretty good start so far Pringers, love the detail, hopefully your results will start coming soon Very Happy GL & KIU!
Pringers
Post 2011-01-19, 17:44 by Pringers
After a very disappointing month in the league and cup, I was determined to hit November running with some good results.

The first game up was an away trip at Deportivo, I knew this wasn't going to be easy, and I highlighted a few of their dangerous players to my lads. One of which was their new striker Vitali Rodionov from BATE Borisov.

Unfortunately, it took the Belarussian just two minutes to open the scoring. From this moment, the home side took control, and could've and probably should've finished it off just before half time. I told the lads at half time that had it not been for Kameni, they'd be out of sight. Expecting a comeback in the second half, I sent them on their way ten minutes before Deportivo arrived back for the second half.

Things got much worse after an hour when on loan full-back Rafael was dismissed for a double booking. I then made a tactical change, and went for a point, but unfortunately it wasn't to be, as the game closed out at 1-0.

No quits from Los Periquitos Dep_es10

I knew we had to bounce back, so I asked my assistant who was next? His answer: big money Malaga at home. Now, I knew this was going to be even tougher, as Malaga have spent millions assembling their squad, and I knew with a world class coach like Manuel Pellegrini it was going to be a long game.

Prior to kick off, I felt that we should win as we're on our patch, and I told the lads this, and hoped it gave them confidence, as by this point we were 16th in La Liga.

The first half started the way I'd hoped, we were in control and should've taken the lead. When just before the half hour mark, the first goal went in. Unfortunately for the home side, it was scored by Ignacio Camacho. Half time came, and I told them they needed to get that goal out of their system, as we need a win.

This clearly backfired on me, as Henri Saivet and Julio Baptista added to the misery and secured a 3-0 win for visitors. A result, in which you could only say is disastrous.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_ma10

I knew something was wrong, so we started work on a new tactic, a new work ethic and a new game plan before the next game which was against Salamanca in the cup. It was 0-0 from the first leg, so I was feeling pretty confident that we'd progress.

We had to wait until just before half time when we were awarded with a penalty, which also saw Salamanca defender Alex Goikoetxea sent off for a double booking. Captain Luis Garcia stepped up and rifled it in to the corner of the net to make it 1-0. Just after half time, we were again given the chance to score from a penalty, in which Luis Garcia cooly placed his shot past the Salamanca goalkeeper to make it 2-0, and surely set's up a next round game against Osasuna.

Just four days after securing our first win of the month, we had a tricky away game at in-form Racing Santander. I knew we needed to carry on from the last game, but it wouldn't be easy. Two straight league defeats had hit the squad badly, and I tried to pick them up in training.

It was a pretty even game but unfortunately, a 31st minute strike by Racing's Christian was enough for the home side. We did equalise on the 84th minute through Spanish centre-half Victor Ruiz but the referee had spotted a foul and ruled out the goal. We had now suffered three straight league defeats, and we looked defeated.

We carried on working on our new tactics ready for the next game away at newcomers Hercules. I highlighted this game as an easy win, as I knew Hercules had been struggling as of late, and knew if we were going to bounce back against anyone, it might as well be them.

Thankfully the game was at the Estadi di Cornella - El Prat, which made my team talk a whole lot easier. That was proven just short of the half hour mark, as Luis Garcia put the home side in the lead, much to the fans delight. Just after half time, Jose Maria Callejon was fouled in the box, and Luis Garcia stepped up to score another penalty to put us 2-0 up.

It didn't take too long to get another goal, as Daniel Osvaldo popped up with a screamer from the edge of the box to put us 3-0 up against lowly Hercules.

There was a consolation goal for the visitors, which came 13 minutes before the end, when Kiko scored after nice build up from David Trezeguet, and Royston Drenthe.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_he10

Our final game of the month was in the capital against Atletico Madrid. The homeside had been hit with an injury crisis which saw both Kun Aguero and Diego Forlan ruled out for the upcoming game. I told the lads before the match just to keep doing what their doing, and we could get something.

It took us just 9 minutes to take the lead, as Daniel Osvaldo raced on to a Luis Garcia throughball to round David de Gea and put us 1-0 up, against all the odds.

Around the half hour mark there was two goals in quick succession. The first went to Jose Maria Callejon, who smashed in a left footed volley from 8 yards out, this gave us a 2-0 lead, I couldn't believe my luck.

I then had to pinch myself as the same player beat David de Gea all ends up with a simple finish to make it 3-0 to the visitors.

We controlled the rest of the game, and the home side really struggled to get anything going at all. I was then informed by my assistant that when I went to the dressing room, Atletico's new signing Ramalho had been sent off. This came to me as no surprise, as he had been lucky before this.

We closed out the game and secured a 3-0 win away at the Vicente Calderon. I was absolutely delighted, and couldn't wait to get going with the next league game. After seeing the statistics in Marca, I knew my side had done me proud, and the rumours of myself leaving Espanyol had now arrived, as I was linked with the vacant Racing and Deportivo jobs.

No quits from Los Periquitos Atlei_10

I declined interest in both jobs as I wanted to prove my worth at Espanyol. Join me in December's update to get the highs and very lows of the month.

Jelly
Post 2011-01-19, 22:20 by Jelly
A mixed month topped off nicely however with a good win v Atletico Very Happy GL & KIU PS: could we have a wee league table screenie at the end of each update though Wink
Niko
Post 2011-01-19, 22:23 by Niko
An Amazing win over At Madrid Very Happy Fantastic result a rather mixed month other than that but im sure you will have a fantastic month next month Very Happy
Pringers
Post 2011-01-19, 22:24 by Pringers
Jelly wrote:
A mixed month topped off nicely however with a good win v Atletico Very Happy GL & KIU PS: could we have a wee league table screenie at the end of each update though Wink

Unfortunately not, as I've finished the season without the monthly league table, unless there's a way I could go back?
Narl
Post 2011-01-19, 22:30 by Narl
Really disappointing start to November, but the new tactic seems to have worked wonders Pringsy, fantastic 3-1 win against Hercules and then a 3-0 trouncing of Athletico, absolutely fantastic results mate. Fully deserved, and I'm sure now that December will provide you with a great Xmas present as Espanyol manager Very Happy
Pringers
Post 2011-01-20, 10:40 by Pringers
It's the season to be jolly, tra la la la la la la. That's right folks, we've motored in to December here at Espanyol, and the Christmas feeling is around the club. However, it's work as usual as we have some tough games this month, including the visit of arch rivals FC Barcelona.

But first, we had to concentrate on who was put in front of us. First up, was the visit of Sporting Gijon. I told the lads to continue where we left of against Atletico Madrid.

And, it didn't take long before we celebrating. After just two minutes in to the first half, Spanish centre-back Victor Ruiz popped up in the box and he smashed the ball in to the net to put us 1-0 up. I looked at my assistant and smiled, as we knew we were going to do well Today.

The scoreline was doubled just before half time as on loan Jesus Datolo smashed in a shot from the edge of the area to make it 2-0. Surely we couldn't be caught.

The second half was pure domination, and Sporting Gijon still hadn't registered a shot on goal. And, in stoppage time the scoring was complete as Luis Garcia rounded the keeper and stroked the ball into the net to make it 3-0. I was delighted with the performance as we absolutely dominated and really took the game to the visitors.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_sp10

Next up was a tricky away game at the San Mames, the home of Athletic Bilbao. I told the lads I didn't expect anything Today, as Athletic were laying third in the league table.

And, just after the half hour mark they showed why, as Iker Munian played a decent ball into Gaizka Toquero and he placed his shot passed Carlos Kameni to make it 1-0.

I was a bit disappointed with the way we had conducted the first half, and told them I expect better in the second half. Less than ten minutes in to the second half, Serbian Mateja Kezman equalised with a simple header from a Jesus Datolo corner.

With twenty minutes to go, I made three changes, I brought Jose Maria Callejon, Ivan de la Pena, and Felipe Mattioni on, and it was Callejon's shot that forced a great save from Gorka Iraizoz. However, with the resulting corner, Victor Ruiz netted a neat header to put the visitors 2-1 up. I was shocked that we bounced back so well, as we saw out the second half with considerable ease.

No quits from Los Periquitos Bilb_e10

The next game up was the big one. The Catalan Derby, Espanyol v Barcelona. In training I could see the lads we're excited about this one, and I placed my faith in them, and told them we could get something today.

As we kicked off, it didn't take long to see how this game would turn out, as within the first five minutes, both Aldo Duscher and Mateja Kezman had been booked.

After less than ten minutes gone, and there was a goal! Unfortunately, it had gone to the visitors, we were easily undone at a corner, and Gabriel Milito found the net with an header.

We struggled to get back after this, and another corner produced another goal. This time from Gerard Pique. I was disgusted with our marking, to concede two goals from corners within 5 minutes is appalling.

Our misery was continuing as just after the half hour mark, Mateja Kezman was dismissed for a double booking. I couldn't even look at him.

Then just before half-time, goal machine David Villa found the net to make it 3-0 at half time. I didn't have a clue what to say to the lads, as I was lost for words. I just told them to do better in the second half, and try and get a goal or two.

Less than fifteen minutes in to the second half, there was a fourth goal, and a fourth goal for Barcelona. This time it was David Villa again, a good finish by the Spanish international, though.

It didn't take long to wish I wasn't here, as David Villa completed a fine hat-trick with a terrific solo goal, as he blitzed Aldo Duscher and Victor Ruiz before sliding the ball past Carlos Kameni.

Yep, you guessed it, another goal, this time from young Bojan. The substitute gave a great cameo appearance as he netted himself a goal, and a sixth goal for Barcelona.

Luckily, it stopped there, I was mortified with the performance, and started to consider my options as I felt so hurt and let down by this group of players.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_ba10

The final game of the year was coming up in three days time, and I took the lads on a short trip to get their heads sorted after that dismantling on the weekend.

We approached kick off for the 5th round of the Copa del Rey first leg against Osasuna at home. I knew we needed a decent result to take back to Pamplona, otherwise we'd be out.

We dominated possession in the first half, but was only able to hit the target once, which was disappointing. Osasuna hadn't really done a lot, and I knew this game was there for the taking.

However, the second half didn't turn out how I expected, as the tables turned and we struggled, while Osasuna took control. It was exactly like the first half, with Osasuna only hitting the target once.

It was a pretty poor game, but I'd have to settle for a 0-0 draw to take to Osasuna in the second leg. The only advantage I had was that I didn't concede an away goal.

Still, I knew we had it all to do in the second leg!

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_so11

Join me in January's update to see if I splashed the cash, and to see if we bounced back from that humiliating defeat.
Narl
Post 2011-01-20, 14:32 by Narl
Aww Pringers, I feel so bad for you mate... 2 superb wins against Sporting and Bilbao on the bounce, and then... well I shan't speak about the defeat. It looks like the squad needs a kick in the backside, and perhaps a signing or two in January will bolster the ranks. I assume you're looking at your defence for the issues Razz

Good luck, and I hope you come back with good news Smile
Berry
Post 2011-01-20, 21:04 by Berry
Oh man, that Barca game must've been a torture to witness :/ Especially after those excellent wins over Sporting and Atletico Bilbao, but hey it's great that you've got the wins against them, it's early days in your Espanyol career and I'm sure sooner rather than later you will close that gap between the 2 teams of Barcelona Smile

I hope that loss hasn't made the squad feel down and sorry about themselves because that won't get them anywhere, but I've no doubts in your abilities Sir Pring; get the players fired up and good luck for next month pal!

Looking forward to seeing potential squad changes in the January window..

All the best
Berry
Pringers
Post 2011-01-21, 11:52 by Pringers
Just a day after a massive New Years party at Espanyol, we had a tough game away at Valencia. I thought I'd have a watch of a few Valencia games from this season. From watching this I found out Valencia we're awful, and so I looked at the league table, and found out that Valencia we're actually in a relegation battle.

I really felt for Unai Emery and his side, as they don't deserve it, but football is football, and my job was to beat them.

Within the first twenty minutes, there had been three goals. The first came on the 5th minute from Daniel Osvaldo, which put us 1-0 up. I was chuffed, and seven minutes later I saw why Valencia we're so poor. Albelda played a really sloppy ball back to Miguel Angel Moya, and Daniel Osvaldo intercepted and rolled the ball in to the empty net to make it 2-0.

I couldn't believe our luck, this seemed easy. Just a few minutes later Valencia got one back from a corner. The ball was crossed in by Joaquin, and netted by midfielder Sunny who had come on for David Albelda. At half time, I told the lads to keep it up, and push Valencia back, as I knew there were goals in this game for us.

Just before the 70th minute, Daniel Osvaldo completed his hat-trick with a brilliant finish from an acute angle. Moya was beaten all ends up for the third time this game. With just ten minutes left substitute Sergio Garcia scored a fourth for the visiting side, which completed the scoring for the game.

With just a couple of minutes left, youngster Fran Fuentes was dismissed for a double booking for the homeside, as the referee called time on another dismal Valencia performance.

After the game I had a few words with Unai Emery, and he told me that he's on the verge of leaving, as the club are not prepared to back him, and he hasn't got a clue why their not playing as well as they should be. I suggested he stick it out until the Summer.

No quits from Los Periquitos Val_es10

Just a few days later, we made the return trip to Pamplona for the second leg of our 5th round tie against Osasuna. It was 0-0 from the first leg, so I knew, we needed to score here.

I told the lads we needed a goal to get through here, and placed faith in a very attacking line up, which included Luis Garcia, Jose Maria Callejon and Mateja Kezman.

It was a very even first 70 minutes, when Osasuna's Carlos Aranda scored a great goal to put the home side 1-0 up. I made a few changes and went all out for a goal, but unfortunately, the lads mind's wasn't on the job, and we couldn't hit the target with any shots. The referee blew up, which saw us eliminated from the Copa del Rey. I was disappointed and a bit bitter about the performance, and I couldn't help but think that things we're about to go bad for us.

No quits from Los Periquitos Osa_es10

Four days later and our first home game of the month. Luckily, it was against bottom of the league Real Zaragoza. This was a must win as we looked to climb up the table.

We kicked off and immediately went looking for a goal, and we didn't have to wait long until an error from Zaragoza's second choice goalkeeper Antonio Doblas saw the goalkeeper score an own goal to put us 1-0 up.

Just over ten minutes later, we doubled our lead as a Jesus Datolo corner was netted by commanding centre-back Juan Forlin. I looked to my assistant and thought that the three points are safe now.

However, we had to wait until the 80th minute for this to be confirmed, as another Jesus Datolo corner was this time put in by my other centre-back Victor Ruiz.

The only disappointing thing was a rather serious looking injury to Joan Verdu. However, three goals, and three points made us a happy squad.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_za10

We then had to travel to Andalusia, which we did almost immediately after the game as we had a massive game against title-chasing Sevilla.

I knew we wasn't expected to get anything Today, and told the lads to do their best.

Sevilla had the game wrapped up by half time, as Alvaro Negredo and then Marco Ruben gave the homeside a 2-0 lead at the break.

The second half didn't get any better as Brazilian wing-back Rafael da Silva was sent off for a double booking, and Alvaro Negredo converted a penalty to give us a 3-0 defeat at the Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan.

I wasn't too disappointed with the squad, as I knew this was a very tough game, and didn't expect anything from the game. The only thing that disappointed me was that we wasn't able to take our chances, and had it not been for a disallowed goal in the first fifteen minutes, it might've been a very different story.

No quits from Los Periquitos Sev_es10

Just a few days later we went to the capital to play our return game against Getafe. We defeated Getafe 1-0 at home, and I knew that if we hit form, we would win comfortably.

I told them we can win today, as we needed to start turning these performances into results.

It took until just before half time for a goal, and it came from Jose Maria Callejon, which gave us an excellent 1-0 lead at half time, and I must admit it was against the run of play. I told the lads I expect to see a better performance in the second half, and my god they repaid me.

Just a few minutes after the second half started, we were awarded a clear penalty, Luis Garcia stepped up, but his shot was saved by Oscar Ustari. This shocked me, as Garcia has been so prolific from the penalty spot this season.

Just after the hour mark, I could smile again, as a corner from Daniel Osvaldo found Juan Forlin, who slammed his shot into the roof of the net to make it 2-0.

However, this lead was rather short lived as Javier Arizmendi got one back for the home side to make it 2-1. I made some changes to try and finish the game, and these changes we're awarded with a goal from Victor Ruiz on the 71st minute. Another corner, but this time from Jesus Datolo, found Ruiz' head, and the Spanish centre-half found the net to give this visitors a 3-1 lead.

I then made some changes again to try and secure this lead, and to see it out to the end. The referee blew his whistle, and we could celebrate. A magnificient 3-1 victory against Getafe.

No quits from Los Periquitos Get_es10

Our final game of the month was at home against Villarreal. Villarreal had spent some money by this moment, and had bought Switzerland international Erin Derdiyok from Bayer Leverkusen, and Mikel Gonzalez from Real Sociedad.

And after just twenty minutes the visitors took the lead through Brazilian hitman Nilmar. There was nothing we could do, as an excellent ball from Marcos Senna found Nilmar completely unmarked, and he rifled his shot past Carlos Kameni.

We hit back just two minutes later through Jose Maria Callejon. A great through ball from Daniel Osvaldo, found Callejon, who simply lifted the ball over Diego Lopez.

We got to half time, and I told the lads we could win this game, as we held them to a draw away, and could easily win this game.

The lads did very well in the second half and with just five minutes to go, we were awarded with a late winner from Daniel Osvaldo. The winger/striker popped up with a neat finish five minutes from time to send us in raptures.

I was delighted with the performance, as we had now climbed the La Liga table to 10th. I just hoped that things would get better from here.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_vi10

Join me in February's update as we take on the likes of Almeria, Real Madrid, Osasuna and Real Sociedad.

Narl
Post 2011-01-21, 13:59 by Narl
Apart from the losses at Sevilla and Osuana, that was a great month for your team Pringers, well done mate Smile

Considering Sevilla are such a hard team to beat at their home ground, it's pretty good that you actually kept it to 3-0 hehe Razz and the loss against Osuana was rather disappointing, but! There's always a silver lining and you're now 10th in the league going to February, I can see good things for your team Very Happy

Keep it up mate Smile
Jelly
Post 2011-01-21, 15:20 by Jelly
Really good month there really mate, great that you are all the way up in 10th now bud Very Happy Great stuff!

GL & KIU!
Pringers
Post 2011-01-21, 19:51 by Pringers
Almost a week after playing our last league game, it was time to hit the road. We had a trip to Almeria planned. I thought I'd take the lads down a bit earlier than planned, so we could hit the beaches and prepare better.

It was a wet evening at the Estadio Mediterraneo, and I told the boys that we must really be looking to take all three points tonight.

We started the game in the driving seat, as we had three consecutive corners within the first five minutes of the first half. Less than a quarter of an hour had gone when we were awarded a rather dubious freekick on the edge of the box. The big centre-halfs had come forward, but there was always going to be a shot. Luis Garcia stepped up, and it struck the post. Foruntately for us, the rebound fell to Victor Ruiz, who put the ball in to the back of the net to give us 1-0 advantage.

Almeria had started to take control now, forcing Kameni to make some great saves, and just before we approached half-time, Almeria had the ball in the back of the net. However, the goal was disallowed as Kalu Uche handled the ball in the build up.

We got to half time with our lead in tact, and I told the guys we need at least one more goal to kill this tie off. We went back out there, and just before the hour mark, our hardwork was awarded with a beauty of a goal from Daniel Osvaldo to give us a very handsome 2-0 lead.

Almeria then took control again, and with less than 15 minutes to go, Kalu Uche beat Carlos Kameni again, this time it stood. It was going to be a very twitchy last 15 minutes, so I made a few time wasting substitutions.

With less than 30 seconds on the clock, Almeria should've equalised, but it was a magnificent save from Carlos Kameni to keep the scores the same, and to give us another victory.

No quits from Los Periquitos Almeri10

Another week, another game. This time we were at home against the league leaders Real Madrid. We scouted their away games all week, and I had planned to set out defensively to try and stop the immense attacking promise they side threatened with.

We got to game time, and I told the guys we need to do what we've done in training, and we'll get something from this game.

It was a very determined first half as we kept the ball well, and created a few half-decent opportunities. Real Madrid didn't look that comfortable, and I thought that we could actually get a massive result here.

The half-time whistle blew, and as I got up of my seat, we were applauded by all the supporters in the stadium, they knew how much hard work we've put in to the performance so far.

The second half got underway, and I had requested more of the same. There was a few nervy moments in the first couple of minutes, especially as Xabi Alonso and Mesut Ozil started to take control of midfield.

And, after 75 minutes, we shocked the stadium with an incredible breakaway. Jose Maria Callejon played a neat one-two with Daniel Osvaldo, and Callejon then rolled the ball across the box for Luis Garcia to slide it in. We all celebrated but as we looked around, and saw the linesman flagging. The goal was ruled out. I was absolutely livid, and the goal should've stood.

We got to full time in what was a very broken up second half due to there being a lot of fouls, mostly from frustration by the visitors. A respectable 0-0 draw, which I was very pleased with, but had the linesman made the right call, we would've won 1-0.

As the whistle went, I got up of my seat and was immediately congratulated with a hug and a smile from Jose Mourinho.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_ma11

In the post-match press conference, I was asked 'What I thought of the decision to rule out Luis Garcia's goal?'. I knew my reply would get me in to trouble, but they needed to know how angry I was. I replied with 'I'm livid, it was a disgraceful call, and that linesman has cost us three valuable points. If we lose ground on the rest for this, I'm going to be a very angry man at the end of the season'.

I was later fined by the Spanish FA for my comments.

Just over a week since that incident against Real Madrid, and I had to prepare the lads now for an away trip at Osasuna. We had already lost here in the Cup this season, and I didn't want it to happen in the league.

I told the players that I will do the talking off the pitch, and they must do it on the pitch. This seemed to motivate the lads well, and I knew we'd end up with a positive result from this.

I was proven to be right after just 9 minutes, when Serbian Mateja Kezman scored with the only shot we'd had on target (which later turned out to be the only shot we would have on target). A delightful cross from Jesus Datolo found the unmarked Serbian, who simply headed the ball in to the back of Osasuna's net to give us a 1-0 advantage.

For the next 80 minutes, we struggled to get any momentum going, and we were getting played off the park by a very good team.

And, had it not been for the great Victor Ruiz, and Carlos Kameni, we probably would've lost. However, due to their great performances, we managed to hold on to a 1-0 lead, and gain another memorable victory, and another three points as we continued our impressive run and our impressive march up the league table.

No quits from Los Periquitos Osas_e10

It was nearly the end of the month, and was our final game of February. It was a home game against Real Sociedad. The bad news was that I was missing Victor Ruiz for this game, as he had picked up a suspension. So I placed faith in 18 year old Jordi Amat.

I told the lads that we're doing really well, and tonight I expect us to continue our winning streak. I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I still expected three points.

The game got underway, and we looked like a team full of confidence. We dominated possession, and worked the ball to create great opportunities too. However, we never converted a chance when we were on top, and this allowed Real Sociedad back in to the game.

The away side start to battle back, and forced some good saves from Carlos Kameni. Before the half time whistle went, the visitors had the ball in the back of the net, but thankfully the goal was ruled offside. A great call by the linesman, as I had initially thought the player was onside.

The second half I demanded better, expecting a goal or two, I sat back down in the dugout earlier than normal. The players knew what they had to do, and how they must do it.

However, they just dominated possession without really troubling the Real Sociedad backline. Towards the end I went for broke, and introduced Callejon and Kezman, but they too couldn't find the goal we were craving. It was then I knew we'd have to settle for another 0-0 draw. This was too much of a permanent thing at Espanyol, and I knew we had to change that mentality.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_so12

We ended the month in 8th place, and I thought this is more like it, who knows what we could do if I could secure a European place.

Join me in March's update to see if we can continue our unbeaten run against the likes of Mallorca and Deportivo.

Jelly
Post 2011-01-21, 19:56 by Jelly
Good month there mate, really good work with an unbeaten month!

GL & KIU!
FMGeek
Post 2011-01-21, 20:16 by FMGeek
good luck pringers look forward to seeing the next update u havent really kept an eye on this one i dont really no why Crying or Very sad sorry
Berry
Post 2011-01-21, 20:16 by Berry
Great stuff, once again, Pringers - keep up the good work, good luck mate, all the best!

Berry
Pringers
Post 2011-01-21, 21:23 by Pringers
As we've moved in to March, there's just a couple of months left, and things are starting to get interesting. We're placed in 8th, and we're not too far away from the Europa League spots. Just a couple more good performances, and we're laughing.

I tell the lads this, and they laugh. They think I'm joking. I have a word with my assistant, and he speaks to them in Spanish...I was there, not a clue what he had said, and all of a sudden, the group stopped laughing and seemed to be motivated. Whatever my assistant did, I thanked him for it.

I then told them to stop with the jokes now, as we have work to do. Just two days into March, and we had a home game to prepare for. This wasn't going to be easy as it was Michael Laudrup's Mallorca side who would be visiting.

We set up our game as usual, a flat back four with two holding midfielders, with three attacking players behind the main striker. This is the tactic I had switched to and had a lot of success with the tactic so far.

I said prior to the game I expected a win, and all of this hard work was soon down the drain, as just over twenty minutes the visitors took a shock 1-0 lead through Cameroonian striker Pierre Webo.

This was disappointing as we had controlled the game, and we just didn't take our chances. We got to half time, and I let rip. I told them that they were playing crap, and to get out there and do much better. I left in a mood, and sat myself in the dugout, while the players strolled out talking between themselves. I didn't care what they were saying about me, as I knew this would be the best way to motivate them.

We kicked off and still controlled the game, and then it happened. Just before the 70th minute Luis Garcia popped up with a great curling effort to make it 1-1. As this went in, I showed no signs of celebrations, even though the players came over to the bench to celebrate with my coaching staff and myself.

I don't know why they celebrated so much, it was only an equaliser I thought to myself. We looked for a winner, but unfortunately, we was unable to find it, and the referee blew up for a 1-1 draw.

I told them I was pleased, but I was only pleased that our unbeaten streak had continued.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_ma12

Just two days later, we were on our way to Valencia, to take on Levante. This really was a must win for us.

We arrived in Valencia with a day to spare before the match, so we went to the museum to have a time out. This type of team building really helps the squad get to grips with each other. We had an early night ready for the game, so we were back in the hotel for 8pm, and as I phoned home to the wife, she wished us luck and told me that Florentino Perez has contacted me about taking over at the Santiago Bernabeu next season, and at that moment, I knew I may not be here next season.

It was game time, and no nerves. I didn't show that I may leave, as I knew it would upset the players, who had grown very fond of me.

We kicked off and immediately took control of the match, to be honest, we probably should've been leading after less than a minute, but it was a glaring miss from Mateja Kezman.

The first half was largely dominated by us, as we kept the ball really well, and rarely gave Levante time to settle in to the match.

It got to half time, and I wondered whether the lads wanted to win, as just kept the ball, and never really made any chances with it. I told the lads to shoot more in the second half, and we'd win here. So I sent them back out, and I was confident that they'd do what I said.

Just after ten minutes of the first half, Jose Raul Baena was dismissed, leaving us to play the rest of the second half with ten men. I know thought this would be difficult, so brought on Callejon and changed formations so that we had two up front.

Just under the 70 minute mark, Jose Maria Callejon scored a great header to give us a 1-0 lead, and at this point, it was probably against the run of play as Levante had got back in to it.

Ten minutes later, we were awarded a penalty, it was a clear penalty, and I'm not quite sure why Miquel Robuste was complaining. Luis Garcia stepped up and GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL! Levante 0 - 2 Espanyol.

I smiled and celebrated as I knew this was game over. Deep in to stoppage time Levante was also reduced to ten men as Miquel Robuste was sent off for a late tackle on Jose Maria Callejon.

I said at full time, another great win, three more points, and we continue to get stronger. The media outlets were impressed with us, and they challenged us to keep it going.

No quits from Los Periquitos Lev_es10

A week later and we had another home game. This time was the visit of Deportivo La Coruna. A big, big game as they were placed just above me in the league. A win here, and we could hit 5th place.

I tried to calm us down, as we were all getting very excited, and I stuck with the same team who won at Levante. Apart from the inforced change.

I sent them on their way, and just a quarter of an hour gone, and we were 1-0 up. A corner from Jesus Datolo found Victor Ruiz at the backpost, who nodded it in to an empty net. An excellent start, and a great goal. The fans were as loud as ever, and it felt great.

I tried to get a message on to the pitch, but it got lost, and they didn't pick it up, as just before half time, Deportivo we're gaining more momentum, and were finally awarded for their dominance. Ekram Deg a new signing, rifled in a nice 20 yard effort past Carlos Kameni to level the scores at half time.

I explained the situation, and told the lads how high we could climb if we could find that vital winner.

The second half got underway, and as I sat there with my assistant, with the offer of Real Madrid in my mind, I struggled to keep my nerve, as I was up and down at every call.

With 15 minutes to go, Deportivo we're awarded a soft free-kick, in which I took exception too. The referee had come over to talk to me, and I kept going on. Ten seconds later, and I was dismissed to the stands. I was distraught, as I had forgot my mobile, so couldn't get hold of my assistant from up in the stand.

It was the longest fifteen minutes of my life, as the referee eventually blew full time on proceedings, and saw us pick up another valuable point.

We were now 7th in La Liga, and was catching Athletic Bilbao and Malaga, who were 6th and 5th respectively.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_de10

After the match, I was fined once again by the Spanish FA, and charged with improper conduct. I admitted to the charge to try and avoid a touchline ban, which thankfully I did.

Next up was an away trip to Malaga, it was our final game of the month, before a nice long break before we go in to April.

I knew this would be a very difficult game, as Malaga were currently 5th in La Liga, and had already beaten us 3-0 at home.

I sat the lads down in the dressing room, and told them I don't expect miracles tonight, but reminded them that at the moment we're unbeatable, and we must take great pride in what we've done this season. Luis Garcia got up and spoke a few words, which seemed to get a good response from the lads.

The home side got us underway, and took an early control of the game. In fact, it didn't them long to have the ball in the back of the net. A Julio Baptista corner found Welington at the near post, who had the easy job of putting it in the net. There was nothing Juan Forlin or Carlos Kameni could do, as it was nicely worked, and a great finish.

We showed great character from here, and battled back well against a team who were far superior than us. And, just after the half hour mark, we were awarded a soft goal. A Sergio Garcia corner found Juan Forlin, who's header took a wild deflection of Galatto, which took it in to the back of the net to make it 1-1.

We got to half-time and we we're still in contact with the hosts. I was delighted with the performance so far and told them to do this for the supporters.

It seemed to backfire really, as just before the hour mark, Brazilian Julio Baptista scored a great free kick from 25 yards. Carlos Kameni had no chance, and Malaga were celebrating a 2-1 lead.

However, we showed great character once again, and ten minutes later, we had an equaliser. This time from our holding midfielder Jose Raul Baena, who's one-two with Luis Garcia on the edge of the box resulted in Baena hitting a sweet shot past Sergio Asenjo in the Malaga net to make it 2-2.

I made a couple of changes to see if I could snatch a win, but if not, to preserve the draw we had earned. These changes were enogh to get the draw, as the referee called time on a fascinating game.

I was absolutely delighted with the level of enthusiasm and the performance was brilliant.

No quits from Los Periquitos Malaga10

We were now up to 6th in La Liga, two points behind 5th place Malaga. We're also on a ten match unbeaten streak.

Join me in April's update to see us take on Atletico Madrid, Sporting Gijon, Racing Santander and Hercules.

Jelly
Post 2011-01-21, 21:49 by Jelly
A few draws there mate but moving up fantastically with a great streak there bud!

Tough month it seems in April but I'm sure you can continue your run and maybe sneak Champions League even? :O

GL & KIU!
Berry
Post 2011-01-21, 21:54 by Berry
Good win against Levante mate and also great to see a nice, long unbeaten run which doesn't seem to be ending any time soon Smile

Looks like a solid month ahead, especially when you take on Atletico, but you're in a great position to pick up plenty of points and also to keep pressure on the top 3 Razz

Keep it up mate, doing great!
Pringers
Post 2011-01-22, 13:14 by Pringers
With just two months left of the campaign, I could taste success, and could smell European football next season. Whether I'd remain here is another story, because as I've said already, Florentino Perez has contacted me about replacing Jose Mourinho in the Summer.

I sat the players down and told them to remain calm about the rumours, and ensured them, I would still be here. After all, we needed to concentrate on our games. Our first game of the month was at home against Racing Santander.

I knew the lads would make me proud today, so I placed my faith in the usual lads.

We started the game and immediately took control of the game, and should've been 1-0 up after 20 minuts, but Luis Garcia missed a sitter.

We continued to pile the pressure on, but Racing dealt with our pressure quite well, and kept the score to 0-0 at half time. I told them I was pleased but they knew deep down, I was disappointed. I needed them to get a goal, so we could secure another three points.

The second half started as the first half ended, we were by far the better team on that pitch, and the only team who wanted to win this game. Racing were just here for a draw, and wanted to get it over with as soon as possible.

We pushed and pushed by that backline just wouldn't crumble, and I knew then we'd have to settle for another 0-0 draw. It was a disappointing result, but news trickled through that Athletic Bilbao had lossed. We were now just a point behind them.

No quits from Los Periquitos Espany10

A week later and we were in Alicante. We had a tricky away game at newcomers Hercules. Hercules we're rock bottom, and we're being thumped by all the big teams, so I knew we had a good chance, but I knew I couldn't count against them.

We kicked off and as usual took control of the game, we had some decent opportunites within the first half, and should've gone in at least 1-0 up. The home side tried their hardest to break the game up, which disturbed our rhythm a bit, but I encouraged the lads to keep going.

The second half begun and with 20 minutes left, there was finally a goal. However, it went to the home side, which was completely against the run of play. It was a nice bit of play by David Trezeguet and Nelson Valdez, who eventually teed up Tiago Gomes who made no mistake in putting the home side in the lead.

I made some changes as we could not afford to lose here. With less than ten minutes left, Hercules' Noe Pamarot was dismissed for two bookings, it was thoroughly deserved, as he should've seen red after his first foul.

Just a couple of minutes later, we equalised. Mateja Kezman laid the ball to the right of the box, where Daniel Osvaldo was there to hammer a ball across the box, which accidentally hit the post and bounced in. I knew it was a fluke, but I didn't care.

I'd take the draw now, as there was very little time left.

No quits from Los Periquitos Hercul10

Under a week later, and we were back at home. We were playing our biggest game of the month against 3rd placed Atletico Madrid. Unfortunately, unlike the first game, Atletico had Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan back.

We didn't get off to the best of starts as Daniel Osvaldo was forced to come off after just 20 minutes due to injury. I feared for Dani, as he had been a very important player for us this season.

Atletico looked a different team, as they completely controlled the first half, and their good work was rewarded with a goal just before half time. A poor mistake from Victor Ruiz allowed Sergio Aguero to squeeze in and slide the ball past Carlos Kameni.

I told them to attack more as I didn't think we'd done enough in the first half, but the second half was the same. Atletico were far superior to us, and just before full time, the visitors got another. It was Aguero again, who played a decent passage of play with Diego Forlan, before unleashing a nice strike to put the away side 2-0 up, and give us our first defeat in 12 games.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_at10

Another week had gone, and we had our final game of the month. We was in the city of Gijon, where we would be playing Sporting in the night.

We got underway and it had a similar feel to the game, as we took control of the game. The only difference was that this time we took advantage. It was a Jesus Datolo corner and it found Victor Ruiz at the back post who made it 1-0 to us. The game was then broken up by daft fouls, and a lot of cautions.

I must admit that the referee didn't help, but I knew I had to avoid saying anything as I would be in big trouble with the FA.

I was delighted with our performance, but this delight turned into anger dead on half time, as a sloppy passage at the back, allowed Gaston Sangoy grab an equaliser for the home side.

I told the lads I was disappointed with that couple of minutes and sent them on their way to win this game.

We couldn't afford a draw, as as things stood, Malaga and Getafe we're going to overtake us, which meant we'd be back down to 8th and out of the Europa League places.

The lads tried their hardest in the second half, but we couldn't get that second goal. I then told them to settle for the draw, as one point is better than no points.

No quits from Los Periquitos Sporti10

The rumours were circulating again about my departure, and I was now linked with jobs overseas. It was rumoured that Inter Milan and Arsenal had shown an interest in appointing me in the summer. I refuted both claims, and stated that I was happy at Espanyol. I couldn't help think about the job offer from Florentino Perez though.

Join me in the final month of the season, and see us take on Valencia, Barcelona, Athletic Bilbao, Real Zaragoza and finally Sevilla. In this month's update you'll also find out where we finished. Did we get Europa League, or even Champions League?
Jelly
Post 2011-01-22, 13:18 by Jelly
Damn mate not a great month there mate and a hugely tough month ahead but I'm sure you can do it! Can't wait to see where you end up with such huge clubs after you!
Berry
Post 2011-01-22, 16:20 by Berry
Tough month mate, unlucky against Atletico but your lads are giving it their all and that's all you can give Smile

Very good to hear that you're being linked with Arsenal and Inter :O It's even more refreshing to hear that you're happy at Espanyol, not letting them put you off your job - great professionalism my friend Smile

Keep up the good work, and all the best for the final month of the season. Not long to go now... Hope you land a spot in a continental competition for next season Wink

Berry.
LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
Post 2011-01-22, 16:59 by LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
This is great keep it up
Pringers
Post 2011-01-22, 22:19 by Pringers
We are now in the final month, just five league games left before it's the end of the season. I couldn't wait, as I had a nice long break planned with the wife and kids.

We didn't have to wait long until it was game time. We had a home game against the side who were directly above us in the league table. Athletic Bilbao. I couldn't believe it. If we somehow managed to defeat Bilbao, we would be 5th, with only four games left.

I calmed the lads down as they seemed a bit anxious, it might've been excitement, either way it was dangerous.

We kicked off the month's games in comfortable possession. We didn't get anywhere, but kept the ball well. Then just before the 20 minute mark, Fernando Llorente was fouled in the box, and Mikel San Jose converted the penalty to give this visitors 1-0 lead.

Just four minutes later and the visitors from the Basque region of Spain were celebrating again. This time a corner from Iker Muniain found his strike partner Fernando Llorente's head, and the rest was history. 2-0.

Just a short while after and we reacted. A great free kick from Luis Garcia was whipped to the back post, which found Juan Forlin who simply put the ball in the back of the net to give us a glimour of hope.

I wasn't very happy, and told the lads to push on until half time. Just ten minutes later, Luis Garcia forced a great safe from the visitor's goalkeeper, and won a corner. The corner was taken by Jesus Datolo, and it found the unmarked Victor Ruiz to make it 2-2.

Now I was happy, I told the lads to hold back until half time, so I could rearrange the lineup a bit. I was delighted with the prospective point, especially after being 2-0 down.

The second half started and the away side took the initiative, and just after the hour mark, Bilbao regained the lead through a neat finish from the big hitman Fernando Llorente.

I knew it would be difficult to get them going again, so I made a few changes, but this didn't seem to work as the away side controlled our very dominant possession well.

The referee blew up, and I thought that was our chance over, as the games coming up are bigger than this.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_bi10

A week later, and we didn't have to travel anywhere. It was the Catalan Derby return. I couldn't even talk to the team before the game as it brought back so many bad memories, and I was absolutely crapping myself of course. So, I let my assistant manager do some work.

I did some tactical work with the midfield, and explored the options of packing the midfield so counter the three of Barcelona. The teams were lining up, and it seemed Pep Guardiola had issues, as there was no Dani Alves, no Eric Abidal, no Gerard Pique, no Pedro, and the bench consisted of a couple of kids. There was a huge crisis at Barcelona, as a couple of International teams had games so lost a few players. I went to the locker room, to see if they had this problem before, and they had it two months in a row (screenies to follow)

We kicked off and kept the ball very well, and after just ten minutes we created our first opportunity. Aldo Duscher crunched into Lionel Messi, and the ball rolled to Jose Raul Baena, who threaded the ball forwards to Luis Garcia. Garcia took it around Puyol, and lashed a shot off the foot of the post.

I encouraged them to keep going from the touchline, and a sloppy across field pass by Javier Mascherano fell to Jose Maria Callejon, who played a nice one-two with Luis Garcia, and found himself one-on-one with Victor Valdes. I couldn't watch. Callejon took it around Valdes, and stroked the ball in to the back of the net. Unbelievable scenes as it was 1-0 to us. I couldn't hide my delight.

We got to half time, and Barcelona still hadn't registered a shot on target. I was delighted with my midfield, as all of them worked hard and worked well. We didn't allow Xavi, Andres Iniesta and Javier Mascherano any time or space. We also kept two players on Messi at all times.

Just after half time, Luis Garcia played a nice long ball over the back four of Barcelona, which found Callejon, who took two touches and found Victor Valdes advancing. Callejon touched the ball around the 'keeper, and there was contact made. He had to go, I screamed. The referee took a couple of seconds while Callejon was getting treated, and produced a red card.

Barcelona then replaced Xavi with third choice goalkeeper Carlos. I was getting more and more confident as time went on. Just before the hour Carlos was picking the ball out of his net for the first time, as a complete mis-kick found Callejon lurking in and around the box, and the striker had no qualms about making it 2-0.

I seriously couldn't believe it. I was nearly crying. But then, just before the 70 minute mark, Callejon had done what I couldn't believe. He'd completed his hat-trick with an outrageous lob. Barca started to get upset, and we're arguing with each other, with the officals, and Pep Guardiola was looking cheesed of. I was quietly laughing in my dugout as I celebrated.

It got better. With just a couple of minutes to go, Callejon grabbed a fourth. I thought now this is revenge. I honestly couldn't believe this, I was lossed for words.

No quits from Los Periquitos Bar_es10

Less than a week later and we had a nice home game against surprise strugglers Valencia. I felt we were unbeatable after that last performance, so stuck with the same team, and same formation.

And, it didn't take long to kick into action. An 11th minute goal from Daniel Osvaldo gave us a commendable 1-0 lead.

I tried to get them to keep going, and deep in to stoppage time of the first half, Mateja Kezman popped up with a second goal for us. I knew this was enough and it tied the game up for us.

I told them I was pleased with what I've seen, but I don't want their levels to drop, and the second half was exactly the same.

We absolutely dominated the game, and the half as we pushed the struggling visitors back in to their half.

The only bad thing about the second half was the fact that we couldn't grab the third goal.

I was pleased though, and settled for two. I was more concerned about the injury to Jesus Datolo though.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_va10

A couple of days later and we had to make the trip to Zaragoza. Real Zaragoza have been struggling, and we're already confirmed as relegated to the Liga Adelante for next season.

I told the lads to continue this awesome run of form. So, we kicked off and took immediate control. We tested Leo Franco on a number of occasions, but the Argentine did well with our shots.

Just before half time, Sergio Garcia raced through from a Jose Maria Callejon pass, and tucked the ball past Leo Franco to give us a 1-0 lead.

At half-time, I told them to keep going as this would be the difference for our season.

And, just before the 70th minute, we were awarded a rather dubious penalty, which Luis Garcia, for some reason, passed the ball on to Jose Maria Callejon. I didn't mind, as Callejon smashed the ball in to the back of the net to give us a 2-0 lead, and another three points.

No quits from Los Periquitos Zara_v10

It was the final game of the season, and we were in 6th place. We were now guarenteed a Europa League place. We hosted Sevilla at home in our final game.

I told the lads, that today was just for the fans, as we had already sealed our fate, and sealed an impressive first season.

I knew this would get the lads fired up, and after just five minutes Mateja Kezman put the home side 1-0 up. I was once again delighted, and was checking how Athletic Bilbao were doing.

We pushed on for a second but just before half time, Sevilla's Renato scored a great header from a Jesus Navas corner.

I was a little disappointed, but didn't show that to the lads.

After the 70 minute mark, we were drawing 1-1, and Bilbao were losing 1-0, this meant that we were now 5th.

However, just two minutes later, Frederic Kanoute put the visitors in to the lead, through a neat slide past Kameni.

With five minutes to go, I piled the pressure on the players to go for it, and they were immediately rewarded. A loose ball fell to Dani Osvaldo, who shot across the 'keeper to make it Espanyol 2, Sevilla 2. I went back to the radio, and heard Athletic are now winning 2-1. That was it, we'd finished 6th.

No quits from Los Periquitos Esp_se10

So as I said, the season was now finished, and we'd grabbed a 6th place finish in my first season.

No quits from Los Periquitos League11

Season highlights

As I said about the international situation. Here are some very interesting results:

- Barcelona 2 - 7 Atletico Madrid
- Rangers 5 - 1 Barcelona
- Bayern Munich 4 - 0 Real Madrid
- Osasuna 3 - 0 Real Madrid
- Atletico Madrid 1 - 5 Athletic Bilbao
- Athletic Bilbao 5 - 1 Sevilla

No quits from Los Periquitos Barca_10

No quits from Los Periquitos Bay_re10

I was offered a new four year deal at the end of the season, which I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear, I signed it and rejected Inter Milan.

Join me in the next update where I will discuss the summer activity, transfers, and the Europa League.
Jelly
Post 2011-01-22, 22:26 by Jelly
Oh my! What a fantastic update with a cracking win against Barce' there mate! Interesting that you turned down Athleti but hopefully you can bring huge glory to Espanyol Very Happy

GL & KIU!
Narl
Post 2011-01-22, 22:29 by Narl
Wow mate, what a fantastic first seaon. 6th in the league, with a cracking 4-0 win against Barca. Good lord, that is brilliant mate. I can only think that there are higher things to be achieved at Espanyol for yourself. Great story, and I'm definitely going to be following this on a more than daily basis, as you're pumping out the updates beautifully Razz

Well done, you legend! Very Happy
LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
Post 2011-01-23, 07:17 by LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
In like a year or two i can see you being the best in the world nice stuff
Berry
Post 2011-01-23, 10:34 by Berry
Mate, you're the man! Very Happy

What a fantastic first season in charge of Espanyol, you've made such a positive impact already, I can't imagine what position your team will be a few years down the line, and I can't wait to see this Smile

6th in the league is a great finish, and to win win AT THE NOU CAMP is what dreams are made of for everyone associated with Espanyol Cool

Keep hold of that Callejon, he looks epic! Very Happy

I've loved following this story so far - your updates are consitently of the highest quality and are easy to read which makes it a delight for us.

Good luck for next season, and can't wait to see what's gonna happen in the summer in terms on in's and out's Smile

All the best mate,

Berry
Pringers
Post 2011-01-23, 11:26 by Pringers
Summer Update Part 1.

At the end of the season, there were rumours at Espanyol regarding a massive takeover. It was soon confirmed as we was hit with a transfer embargo.

Our current chairman felt he was ready to move on, which was a shame as we've worked so closely together this term. However, the new prospective owner was a Greek businessman. He promised me a significant transfer budget of £87.5 million, should his takeover deal go through.

I immediately got excited, so put all of my transfer targets on hold, as I knew things could be about to get a whole more interesting.

I waited a couple of days, and I received an invitation to Nyon for the Europa League draw. I was excited, as I knew I was about to make history for myself. I quickly packed some clothes and said goodbye to the family before jetting to Nyon.

I sat in the coliseum awaiting the news, and the draw finally got underway. I was sat with my assistant manager, and we were both excited, as we could showcase our talents to the World here.

The draw went on and on, and we were finally paired with a team. It read "Ukraine's Karpaty will play...Spain's Espanyol". I felt confident of reaching the next round, but I instantly knew that an away trip to Ukraine is not an easy task.

We flew back almost immediately, and upon arrival at the stadium, I was greeted by reporters. They wanted to know what I felt about the draw, I just smiled and said "It could've been worse".

I went in to talk to my chairman, and he told me that the takeover deal has collapsed, but the Greekman may still invest in the club. I was a little disappointed, but was glad that the chairman was staying.

He then told me some bad news. He'd told me that Sevilla had offered £14 million for Victor Ruiz, and he has decided to accept the deal. I was shocked, I was disappointed, in fact, I was livid. I told him we shouldn't, but he said that Victor wanted to talk to Sevilla.

Just a couple of hours later, Sevilla had confirmed the signing of Victor Ruiz on a four-year contract. There was only one word I could use to sum this up...devastated.

I knew I'd have most of the money to spend though, so immediately got on the market to see who I could buy.

Join me in Part 2, to see my transfer dealings, and to hear about the first leg and title odds.
LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
Post 2011-01-23, 11:37 by LeedsUnitedAllTheWay
Oh i cant wait to see who you sign.. hehe Smile
Berry
Post 2011-01-23, 11:41 by Berry
Very nicely wrote mate, nice Europa League draw - while you're right that a trip to Ukraine is never easy, it won't be easy for them when they travel all the way to Portugal either and I'm sure the quality in your team will be evident when you take them on, and I hope you can go pretty far in the competition Smile

Real shame about Ruiz, it's so annoying when the board intervenes in business like that - it's the manager who has to use the squad and get results and so the chairman should stick to his own job which is maintaining financial stability :/

Anyway, £14m is a lot of money and I'm sure it'll go a long way in allowing you to bring a few top quality players in; looking forward to seeing your wheeling and dealing Very Happy

Berry
Jelly
Post 2011-01-23, 12:00 by Jelly
Great stuff mate, cor, that really is a shame about the takeover as he would've been immense, still, dont reflect on the negatives here! Great amount of money, even if he was a top player.

Great written work so far mate, GL & KIU!
Pringers
Post 2011-01-23, 13:50 by Pringers
The transfer window had now opened and on the very first day my first new signing arrived.

The headline read "R.C.D Espanyol sign Emanuelson". I signed American wing-back Urby Emanuelson on a free transfer from Dutch giants Ajax.

The sale of Victor Ruiz had now gone through, and the board gave me £10m to spend. I started to look in the market and quickly got to work after two weeks of scouting.

The next signing was Mexican Carlos Vela from Arsenal. Vela joined the club on loan until the end of the season, for a fee of £700k. I was pleased with this signing as my scouts had recommended signing him, and took their advice.

A day later, and we completed a trio of fantastic captures. The first to come was Argentinian Emiliano Insua from Liverpool. Insua also arrived on a loan deal until the end of the season, for a fee of £400k.

The next player to arrive was in the shape of Marco Rossi, who arrived on a free transfer from Parma. Rossi signed a two year contract at the club, and I was delighted with this capture.

Finally, I signed Spanish midfielder Borja Valero for a fee of £1.4m from English side West Brom. Borja signed a three year contract, and was a great replacement for the outgoing Ivan de la Pena.

A day later, and we'd signed two more and two more from England. First was Belgian Vincent Kompany from Manchester City. Kompany signed a four year contract for a fee of £2.5m. I was absolutely delighted with such a deal, as I knew he was the perfect replacement for Victor.

Finally, we signed Croatian right-back Vedran Corluka from Tottenham Hotspurs for £2.9m. Corluka had signed a three year deal at the club, and is the perfect replacement for the outgoing Rafael da Silva, who had returned to Manchester United, before moving to Juventus for £14.25m.

I still wanted one more signing, and that came in the shape of young Ghana international Anthony Annan from Ajax. Annan signed a five year contract, and arrives for a fee of £2.7m.

The main departures from the club were Mateja Kezman who joined Cardiff City, Francisco Javier Chica who joined Celtic, and Richarlyson who joined Mainz.

No quits from Los Periquitos Transf12

SkyBet had officially confirmed their market for the Liga BBVA this season, and if you remember correctly, last season we were priced at an outrageous 300-1. SkyBet had made us a surprising 33-1 this season, and claimed that with one or two more good signings, we could reach the Champions League.

It wasn't long until we had our first game in Europe. An away trip to Lviv, in the Ukraine. I wished the lads luck, as I knew this game would be hard.

We started the game and took control immediately, this tactic seemed to do well like that. We created a few chances in the first half hour, but the Karpaty goalkeeper had made some good saves.

Just before half time, we were rewarded with our hard work a goal through a penalty from Luis Garcia. I was jubilant, and really fancied us to progress now.

I told the lads at half time, that I was pleased with the way they had played, and wished them luck in the second half.

The second half begun, and the defensive partnership of Kompany and Forlin looked formidable, as we were able to sniff out the threat of Karpaty and keep the score at 1-0.

I was absolutely delighted with the way the team had played, and gelled together so quickly.

No quits from Los Periquitos Kar_es10

And with the second leg just a week away, I was feeling confident of progressing.

Join me in the next update to see how the second leg went, and to see how the first month of the new season went.
Post  by Sponsored content

No quits from Los Periquitos

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
PimpmyFM :: Storybook-
Jump to:  
Designed by Vic Posher
Copyright © 2013 FMReporter.com All rights reserved.Free forum | ©phpBB | Free forum support | Report an abuse | Forumotion.com